CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Holiday blues

For the past few days I've been really emotional and I'm not really sure why. Nothing significant has happened (I know it's not PMS), yet I've been walking around on the verge of tears (okay, okay. I've shed a few).

I think I've figured out what is wrong with me.

I miss my family. I'm crying as I write this now. :'(

Growing up, our family was my life. My best friends were all of my wonderful cousins. I often think of the endless sleep overs, and family parties, and get-togethers we had, and I have nothing but fond memories of those days gone by.

As we all grew older, and matured into teenagers/young adults, many of us grew apart. Not because we didn't love each other, we were just busy doing our things with school, sports etc. But our love for one another never faltered, I'm sure of that. I have always been proud to tell anyone who asks what my life was like growing up. I tell them: "Have you seen the movie, 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'? Well, my life was kind of like that, but Mormon instead of Greek." It usually brings out a laugh or two, but what they don't realize is that it's the truth. And I love it. I miss it.

Fast forward 30 years (give or take) and here we all are. The same age OUR parents were when WE were frolicking in Grandma's back yard. Grandma and Grandpa loved each and every one of us so much. They had their door open for every single member of their family 24/7. They wanted us to be close, to love each other, to support each other. I like to think they were the ones who instilled in each of us the importance of family.

I've lived in the Portland area now since 1994 (actually, now I live in Vancouver, Washington...10 miles north of Portland, just over the Columbia River). I have spent many a Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, Reunion, Halloween, wedding, baby blessing, etc. away from you all. It BREAKS my heart to know how much I've missed out on everything. I really did try to move back to Utah, but it just didn't happen, for reasons beyond my control. Now I'm going to be spending the rest of my life here, in the NorthWest with my new and wonderful husband and his family. And I'm okay with that.

But, as each year passes, I find the holiday season more and more difficult. My sadness grows deeper, and last year it was almost unbearable. I was miserable, and I did a lot of crying. I know many of my emotions were due to the situation with my divorce and everything associated with it, but really: It was about wanting MY family. So, here I sit. Thinking of the Thanksgiving I will miss. Rejoicing in the fact that I will be able to come home for Christmas, and I can't help the tears. They just happen.

When I confide to Ted that I am lonely, and I wish I had more friends here, he encourages me to find friends that I enjoy doing things with. "See if there is someone at work you can start scrap booking with." "Ask a friend out to dinner or lunch on a Saturday." Well, I've tried. And tried. And tried, to find someone that I can call a real friend. Someone I can call at the last minute and say, "Let's go out to lunch today." Or, "Hey, come on over and we'll scrapbook and the kids can play...." Someone I can count on NO MATTER WHAT. It doesn't exist for me. I know I don't have that kind of relationship in my day to day life because I am here, and my family is there.

Family is forever. They are comfort. They are happiness and joy. Friends are wonderful too, but they can come and go ( and usually do). I have told him endless times: If my cousins were here, I would have a TON of friends. And I know that it's true.

I am going to try to keep my sadness at a minimum, for the sake of my husband and children, but the fact remains: My heart will never be as whole as it once was, back in 1982.

9 comments:

Trinbean said...

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time...Im not sure if you remember me...I think we have only met a couple of times(mikes wife). I have felt like that before...lonely. I have a couple of really close friends and then the rest is family. I have lived by my family my whole life, and now I have your family and I just can't imagine how hard it would be to be so far away from them. Just know that you are loved and missed everyday no matter where you are. It is really embarrassing for me to say but Mike and I have missed several family funcitons and we are HERE. We try to make it to as many as we can but sometimes you just get so caught up in YOUR own everday life it is hard to break the routin. Sometimes we take advantage of our family being next to us and don't even know it. I don't know you too well...but I do know that I love EVERYONE in mikes family..including you!!! By the way I'm greek...imagine I have the real greek family on my side and the Mormon(greek) family on your side...kind of funny!!!!K now that I have wrote a whole freakin novel :-)

Try and Cheer UP!!!!

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh Sharon now I'm crying..ok well I cry about everything. I was just telling Bryan at lunch how much I love you. I said she's different than the Sharon I first met. Since blogging and facebook I have just totally fallen in love with her. I had no idea you were in Vancouver. I will have to convince Bryan to come visit you there. I love it there, it's gorgeous. My Aunt used to live there, well has a couple of times, but it's been some time since I was there.

I agree with Trina it's hard to get to family things. We are also here and we've missed tons.

I have lived in Utah my entire life and I too don't feel like I have a close friend like that. My only saving grace is my sister and my SIL's. I even live in Mormon country and just wish I could have a friend who needed me.

I know how you feel to be lonely. I hope we can hang out more when you come to visit next time.

Oh and come join this fun online small commuinity of scrappers from all over the world:
http://outtathisfunk.ning.com/
My SIL and some of her scrap book friends started it. She (my SIL) is pro but most of us aren't. So if you get bored follow the link and you can post some of your scrap book pages and stuff.It's way fun....

Big love to you!

Snyder-mom said...

Hello Sharon!!! I am soooo sad that you are having such a rough time. I can't even imagine being away from my family like you have been "forced" to.
I was also thinking about when we were all little and having backyard parties at grandma and grandpa's. I remember the sleepovers and the games. It's hard to belive that so much time has passed since then, but you're right, our kids are the same age now as we were then.
I found myself flipping through some of the old pictures and spotted the time we all went to Wheeler Farm. We had pictures of all of us in the same tree where I take pictures of my girls now. I'll have to scan them and post them this weekend.
I do miss and love you. It is kind of nice to know that even though you're not here, with blogs and facebook and all that fun stuff, it's been so much easier to stay connected.
We'll miss you at Thanksgiving, but will look forward to seeing you at Christmas.
Hugs and Kisses, Lisa
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Sharon said...

Thank you ALL for being so sweet. I just want to make a side note:

My post was not intended to send anyone packing on a guilt trip. It was just something I've been feeling, and needing to get off my chest. I completely understand that you all have very busy lives. I would never judge you, and I hope you know that.

The point I was trying to make (and I think you all understood), was that I LOVE our family, and I love each and every one of you. I have to say, Facebook and Blogging HAS made me feel even closer to you all, and I love, love, love reading your posts, and looking at your pics. It's almost as good as the real thing.

I hope to see you at Christmas time. I'm flying in ON Christmas Day, and out that Sunday. Let's TRY to do something together, even if it's just for a couple of hours doing lunch. That would be the best gift EVER!

Lots of love,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Sharon how about lunch or dinner Sat night?

Beck said...

Dear Sharon!
I forgot to ask you if I could look at your palm at the reunion. Last time I read it all it said was sadness. I was hoping to give you better news! But in the midst of chasing My Damn Kids, I forgot.
I hope there can be some sort of get-together at Christmas! It was fun to see you and meet ted this summer.

The Holmes Family said...

Awww.. Sharon, way to make everyone cry. It does suck with you being so far away, I do miss seeing you at all the get togethers. Especially with such a great husband in the family now, he's such a fun guy. I like that now all the cousins are like the same age. The older cousins are laughing and visiting with with the younger cousins, and we all get along. We do haave such a great family.

Sherri said...

I meant to comment on this post earlier! I hate that you are so far away! I can kind of understand the way you feel about missing those holidays with family. When we lived in California for all those years, I missed out on all those holidays with family (cousins, aunts, uncles, grandmpa, and grampa). I remember the times before I was 9 with the cousins, but after that, I don't have a lot of memories except for the summer times. And I feel bad about that because even now, at reunions, memories are talked about, and I am not a part of them. I felt really bad about that. So I can kind of understand about being far from family. I guess at least I had my immediate family but at that age, I didn't care about that, I wanted my cousins! :-)

I just want to give you a hug! I miss our friendship! I feel like life is just going way too fast. I should be better at keeping in touch but I don't. I am so sorry. I guess this blogging and facebook is making it better. For sure we need to do something when you come to visit for Christmas. We need to make sure to organize something and stick to it. I know that we tried to figure out something while you were here for the reunion and that didn't work out. We just need to make it happen. Love ya tons!

Yolanda said...

Sharon - I would so be that friend that would love to go to lunch and scrapbook and watch old movies and just hang out. Let's do it over facebook, blogs and emails. So glad to get in touch with you again.
Lots of love,
Yolanda